Saturday, October 28, 2017

Lexington County Museum


HAUNTED TOURS

Last night concluded two candlelit nights in the yard of the Hazelius House at the Lexington Museum where I manned a table with copies of my books. My table was located near the tent where visitors checked-in for the Hunted History Tours (conducted by museum director J.R. Fennell).

My table with historical fiction novels
As groups arrived for the Hunted Tours, they passed by my table (many stopped to shop), picked up cookies and hot apple cider, and gathered at the bond fire. My sweater wasn't warm enough Thursday night, but a cup of cider helped keep off the chill. Last night wasn't as cold.

The heat from the bond fire was much appreciated
I was happy to discover that the volunteer working the ticket stand was Laura McMahan, another former Pelion School student. I hadn't seen Laura in years, and we did a bit of catching up on what we've been doing.
Laura (lt.) is a retired principal with Lexington One Schools
My sister Nila accompanied me and, as most writers know, every event is easier and more fun when you have somebody to share it. Nila was a great assistant.

I depend on my sister Nila often to help me out


A view of my table with the Fox House in the background.


My table with the Hazelius House in the background.

A crowd of visitors surged before each tour and then it was quiet with just the staff and myself. It was refreshing to be outdoors with the moon shining above the trees. Our voices seemed more calm in the candlelight... which added an aura of history. My thanks to Director Fennell for the opportunity to participate in the museum's Haunted Tours.




No comments:

Post a Comment