Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Inman Harvest Festival

WHERE I WAS LAST SATURDAY

 

Inman, a small town located in the foothills of upstate South Carolina, held its annual Harvest Day Festival last Saturday. Their claim of 20,000 visitors is credible, given the traffic on Main Street, which was lined with artisans' tents. My tent was number 44.

Here in my tent, after set-up

I usually let shoppers look over my books without interference. If they pass the time limit of just-passing-through, I'll get out of my seat and ask them a question.

 
Should I approach these ladies? What to say?

I'm not a good salesperson-- but below I'm doing my best to convince the lady to buy one of my books.

My husband Doug, on the other hand, strikes up a conversation with anybody who wanders into our tent. He's good at telling jokes and loves meeting strangers.

I should pay Doug (right) a sales commission

Festivals are a lot of fun, but they're also a lot of work—setting up a tent, putting up tables, banners, displays, books. Inevitably the afternoon gets long and fatigue sets in. I couldn't do this without my husband Doug and sister Nila.

Nila (seated) is welcome company at festivals

No comments:

Post a Comment