NC Writers' Network Conference
JillMcCorkle was the keynote speaker at The North Carolina Writers Network Conference held at Greensboro on Saturday. She stood on a stage removed from
the audience, and my seat was at some distance from the front, ergo, a rather
fuzzy photo.
![]() |
| Jill McCorkle |
Obviously
a well-prepared talk, and what she read to us was useful information despite
the monotone presentation. She said that our subconscious is smarter than our consciousness.
This is something I can believe. When I’m working on a story, I often come up
with fresh ideas early in the morning, after a night of sleep and before I’m
fully wake up. I suspect I was working in my sleep.
McCorkle
said that writing a poem or story is like building a house, e.g., foundation,
doors and windows for looking in or out. Location, location, location. A place
where you know all you know. Potential and comfort. Haunted or run down. A
fantasy of salvaging.
A useful
McCorkle quote: Sometimes we revise too soon before we get to the emotional
truth we’re after. Revision is the true art.
SusanEmshwiller’s enthusiasm for movies translated into helpful information on
writing. On dialogue, she reminded us that our characters can call out/play
with bad dialogue. Another gem: complex concepts (e.g., collateralized debt
obligation, or cognitive
neuroscience)
need not be explained as long as a character in the story understands it. Using
movie clips, she gave us ideas about exposition, setup for chaos, and theme. With
“Tell them up front the essentials,” she ended with scenes from Delicatessen
and Saving Private Ryan.
![]() |
| David Halperin |
In the
afternoon, David Halperin’s topic was “Writing the Character you Know Best.”
Mostly anecdotal input from the audience. A good reminder that perfection
itself is a flaw when it comes to creating characters.
The Greensboro
that I saw is a college town with a revitalized downtown of about three blocks where
lively pedestrians stroll the restaurants and shops. My sister Nila bought a handmade necklace in one of the shops while I was hanging out with writers.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Share your thoughts below.