Friday, August 14, 2015

Poetry Reading

HOW SWEET THE SOUND

Today I'm looking through my published poems in preparation for an upcoming How Sweet the Sound poetry reading at Starbucks in Sumter, SC, on Thursday, August 27 at 7:00 PM. I'm excited and pleased to be the featured poet.

Fellow poet Len Lawson has organized How Sweet the Sound as a means to promote not just poetry, but the spoken word, music, dance, and other creative expressions. The August 27 event is scheduled as an open mic affair with an open invitation for poets to read samples of their work. How Sweet the Sound takes place every fourth Thursday at Starbucks on Broad Street. Among those previously featured have been Matthew Foley, I. Am Murcier, and L. Lamar Wilson.

On another front, Len, a professor at Morris College, co-founded Poets Respond To Race, which stages exhibits and holds forums to provide a format for tough discussions on race and diversity.

After attending a poetry reading at the Drip Cafe in Columbia some time ago, I wrote a blog with a list of suggestions for poets reading their own work. 

 A Word on Poetry Readings
Given my upcoming reading, I'll take my advice and, among other things, wear something interesting, avoid poems with angst, and favor short over long poems.

I hope to see you at the reading. Starbucks is located at 1259 Broad Street (Ph 803-905-1200) in Sumter, SC.

No comments:

Post a Comment