Sunday, August 21, 2016

image architect


INHERENT GLAMOR

People may look at me and think I have no interest in appearances. My sister occasionally tries to tame my hair if we're having family photos taken. And the optician who changed the lens in my glasses volunteered that he didn't particularly like the frames.  

I once had my colors "done." 
For those of you who haven't been there, you can hire a consultant to analyze your skin and hair and advise you about what colors look best on you. Years ago Sandy Dumont analyzed my color (it's a question of whether your skin has cool or warm undertones). I came away from her consultation with swatches of fabric as examples of colors I should look for when buying clothes. It was something of a disappointment to discover that the colors I like best (taupe, bronze, khaki) don't do me any favors.
 
 What we say by how we look.
 Appearances mean more than they should. That's not to say they're unimportant. We make judgments about people on the first handshake. Sandy could explain the meaning of body language and the impact of stripes in a tie. She called herself an image architect and realized early on that people will pay to project their preferred image. This idea is flourishing if a Google search of "image architect" is any indication. 

Most of my friends have appearances that hint to their personalities. Needless to say, each one has his or her own beauty. Everybody should have at least one glamorous friend. Sandy was mine. Was, because she passed away last week.




No comments:

Post a Comment