Monday, March 30, 2020

Covid 19



HERMIT TERRITORY

Staying home for me is not the crisis it is for some people. I usually spend my time at my computer, even when there’s no corona virus. I can still take my dog Ginger for a daily walk, my usual way of getting fresh air and exercise.
It’s disappointing but understandable that the festivals I had planned to be attending this spring have been cancelled. And I bought a pink sparkly top just for the Cherry Blossom Festival in Conyers, Georgia. I don't especially like pink, but the organizers played on that color for promotional purposes.
NO VISITS DURING SPRING BREAK
Doug and I had planned to have the grandkids here during their spring break, but our two sons thought it was too much of a risk. Davis and his family live in Cincinnati, Ohio, and Matt and his family in Rome, Georgia. We don’t get to see them as often as we’d like. We have two granddaughters living in London, England, but their school breaks don’t coincide with ours in the States and the cost of their coming here is a pot of money. Their schools have also suspended classes.
LASTING SIDE EFFECT OF VIRUS
We’re focused on the impact this crisis is having on the economy and business, but the closing of schools may have the longest lasting effect. Kids who have computers will naturally gravitate to the screen and mindless games. Let’s face it, there’s not much else for them to do. Youth is a critical time for getting a foundation in facts and thinking that a person uses for the rest of their life. Even if everybody went to home schooling, it doesn’t have the systematic discipline to replace public schools, nor the academic depth.
AT-HOME PROJECTS FOR KIDS
I would hope that parents who are out of work are teaching kids things to do with their time. Some ideas:
1) Sewing: Buy a cheap sewing machine. Assignment: make a shirt
2) Woodwork. Buy a jigsaw. Project: make a footstool or birdhouse
3) Cooking: Download recipes. Project: make a dish at supper
4) Reading & writing: Buy a kid's novel: write a movie script made from the book
5) Music: Buy a harmonica or ukulele. Project: learn one song

These involve small investments of money but will pay off in better spent time for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment