Saturday, April 4, 2020

Zoom Workshop



Virtual is not something I do

You never outgrow fear of failure. I just got an invitation from the Columbia II Writers for a virtual workshop Monday.

KasieWhitener, who will host the meeting, is a savvy techy who is undaunted by anything. I, on the other hand, am unsavvy about computers and daunted by lots of things. In fact, my computer brings out my best efforts at bad language.

Anyway, in the back of my mind is a voice saying, “You won’t be able to connect for the meeting. Or you’ll click the wrong button and trash the meeting.” It may be even worse. I’ll join the meeting, put my nostrils on view, interrupt everybody, black-out, bawl out, blink out, and otherwise show my ignorance.

There are a thousand and one online how-tos for Zoom (the video conferencing app). What’s wrong with my computer? On Google, the Zoom homepages don’t look like mine. And the advice makes no sense. “Turn on mute when you’re not talking; Test screen sharing.” Huh?

This is one of those occasions when I will be going outside my “comfort zone.” A good idea, they say. Will expand my world view. But at what cost? Making a fool of myself? 



No comments:

Post a Comment