Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Thinking about the past

 

TIME HEALS?

 

They say that time heals all wounds but does it?

 

This may sound silly, but I remember the pain of learning there was no Santa Claus. For at least a year I denied to myself what was becoming obvious, that Santa didn’t exist and never had. I felt robbed of something that was mystical and amazing.

 

Maybe that was a trivial loss. But I still feel like the walking wounded.

 

On a more serious note, I have lost my mother and father, both long since deceased. That was a wound and time hasn’t healed it. Time has taught me that I can tolerate what I thought I couldn’t. It has taught me that I can continue without my parents, but it hasn’t taken away the sadness and the pain of that loss. However, with the passing of years, it is no longer a shocking pain.

 

Time is a double-edged sword. It gives us memories of moments of joy offset by moments of heartache. That’s one reason I wrote the poems in Time Carries All Things Away ($12.00 plus shipping). Available from me at brstanard at gmail.com. Or Main Street Rag at http://mainstreetragbookstore.com/?s=bonnie+stanard.

 

This is me, sucking my thumb...


No comments:

Post a Comment