Monday, January 30, 2023

Women's Day, Columbia Conference Center

WOMEN’S DAY WASHOUT

 

Yesterday I, along with writers Kasie Whitener and Jerry Pate, were installed at a table during the Women’s Day event at the Columbia Convention Center. We were ready to sign and sell our books, but alas, the public didn’t show up in numbers, at least not what the festival claimed (2,000 attendees). Sparse traffic, of course, means sparse sales. I suspect I’m not the only disappointed vendor. 

 

The day wasn't a complete washout, for I enjoyed conversations with Kasie and Jerry. We didn't debate the world's problems, but we did get into the knotty subject of being a writer in the 21st Century.

 

There were numerous vendors with unusual crafts for sale. One was a lipstick that lasts for 48 hours and requires special products to remove it. I was sold on that one until I found out how much it cost. A local potter displayed colorful bowls, vases, cups, etc. I’m on the lookout for handmade pottery, which isn’t easy to find locally. A highlight was a musical show by three glamorous belly dancers. Also, the mimosas from the bar were good.

Waiting for book sales....
(Photo Courtesy Doug Stanard)



No comments:

Post a Comment