Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Indie Bookstore Day

L to R, Kim Poovey, myself, Cheryl Oliver

 

HISTORY’S MYSTERIES

 

Saturday I was on the “History’s Mysteries” panel with Cheryl Oliver and Kim Poovey to celebrate Indie Bookseller Day. I forgot to remove my hat, had to hustle on stage because I wasn't paying attention to the progress of the program.

 

Sometimes the benefit of writer events is more that of meeting other writers and commiserating about the world of publishing. That was mostly the case at Main Street Reads (MSR) in Summerville, SC, where we celebrated Indie Bookseller Day. Shari, owner of MSR, orchestrated a day of panel discussions that brought in local authors to discuss various genres. She did a great job of organizing the event.

 

I was on a panel of lively authors who approach writing in diverse ways, which we discussed. Cheryl’s books are about the men who built and sailed the H.L. Hunley submarine. Kim writes fiction based in the Low Country. A third author, whose name I didn't get, was added at the last minute. The sun was surprisingly hot, and the audience retreated to the shade rather than sit in the unsheltered seats.

 

Thanks to Main Street Reads for putting local authors in the spotlight. It’s just one more reason to support local bookstores. 

 

Far right is Shari, of Main Street Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment