Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Cincinnati Reds lost to Chicago Cubs

SPORTS REPORT

 

I’m not a sports fan, but some knowledge of sports is necessary to participate in family conversations. To give you an idea about how much I understand baseball and football, I know a first-down only happens on a football field and a pop-up only on a baseball diamond.

 

Last weekend I, along with family members, went to a baseball game in Chicago between the Cubs and the Cincinnati Reds. My son and family (from Cincinnati) are avid Reds fans. Doug and I lived in Chicago for about 9 years and we have fond memories of the Cubs. The Cubs won, which put my son and family in a funk.

 

The reason for our visit to Chicago wasn’t the baseball game. Four family members participated in Chicago’s Half Marathon. All of them ran with success. I walked my legs off trying to meet our runners on the marathon route and cheer them on.

 

Runners in Chicago Half Marathon

Runners now have GPS trackers which allow us to see their exact location, well, that’s the claim. However, the tracking device for runners in the Chicago race was unreliable, and my daughter-in-law and I had trouble finding our runners. At the Iceland Marathon in August a better GPS device was available, which was accurate and easy to use.

 

Doug and I are home after driving from Cincinnati to Lexington, SC. The storm Helene washed out sections and downed trees on Interstate 40, which was closed east of Knoxville to Interstate 26 near Hendersonville. Detours in the mountains meant bumper to bumper traffic on two-lane highways. It's rumored that Interstate 40 through the Smoky Mountains will be closed for years for repairs.

 

Though I live in South Carolina I missed Hurricane Helene because of our trip to Cincinnati and then to Chicago, IL. However, when we got home, a 60-foot tree had been blown down in our back yard.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment