Saturday, July 15, 2023

"Family Plot" in Last Stanza

 

 

My poem "Family Plot" appears here.

 BONNIE POEM IN The Last Stanza

As curious as it may seem, I played in a cemetery as a kid. We lived within sight of the graveyard at Convent Baptist Church. From the headstones, I became familiar with the names of people buried there. Of particular interest was the age of the person at death. No doubt, my math skills improved from subtracting birth dates from death dates. Because there were graves of infants and toddlers, including my sister Ina Jean who died at the age of three, I understood as a youngster that death didn’t wait for you to get old.

 

The theme of this issue is These Things We Carry. “Family Plot” is the title of my poem. When I think of the things I carry, I think of my memories. The poem is like a stroll through a graveyard where you recognize the names of family members on the headstones, which prompts a memory about them.

 

The Last Stanza is 267 pages of poems and costs $12.95 from Amazon.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment