Saturday, July 8, 2023

Poems to appear

PUBLISHING UPDATE

 

Three of my poems have been accepted and have appeared or will appear in issues of literary journals.

 

The June issue of The Hollins Critic has my poem “Fed Up” on page 20. I wrote this poem years ago when I was in England for a retreat held by the Arvon Foundation at Totleigh Bartton, which is a thatched manor house located amid rolling pastures. It was my first encounter with hedgerows. The rumor was that Totleigh Barton was owner by Ted Hughes and we writers were hoping he’d make an appearance. However, this gives you an idea about how long ago that was, for Hughes died in 1998. The Hollins Critic is published by Hollins University in Roanoke, Virginia.

 

Editor M. ScottDouglass accepted “Barnyard Lowbrow” for an upcoming issue of Main Street Rag. This magazine, headquartered near Charlotte, NC, is one of my favorite periodicals and not because it is publishing my poem. In any given issue, you can find short stories and poems that are quirky with a heart. Good reading.

 

Editor JennyKalahar of Last Stanza Poetry Journal will publish “Family Plot” in the mid-July issue. I grew up in a house that was within spitting distance of a church and cemetery. This poem has to do with a visit to a graveyard. The Last Stanza is available from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

 

It takes time to make submissions to journals, time that takes away from writing. However, it’s obvious that you can’t get published if you don’t submit.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment