FLAME-OUT
Yesterday’s Festival
The wash-out was my sweat-soaked underwear. Most people on the grounds at the Arts & Crafts Market were the vendors. Few customers showed up, hours went by with barely any traffic… and with good reason.
When Doug and I were driving out the gate at 4:00 PM, the thermometer on the dash read 100 degrees.
The vendors on either side of us kept their battery-operated fans running on high. Without one, we sweltered. There were moments when I felt like my body temp had hit stoke territory. I took breaks and sat in our air conditioned truck.
We didn’t predict such incredible heat (not to mention humidity) in mid September. The take-away for me is that I need to update my weather expectations based on changes brought about by global warming. Don’t know the effect unseasonably hot weather will have on future outdoor festivals. It will have an effect on whether I participate in them.

No comments:
Post a Comment